Alpha-Financials attends CIWM’s Annual Conference
For a third year running, Alpha-Financials attended CIWM’s annual conference, the flagship conference for the resource management industry which took place in London on 12th and 13th June 2012. The program offered the variety required to attract a broad spectrum of attendees and to provoke interesting debates, both inside the conference room and outside during the networking time.
- Over 300 delegates attended across the two days
- Ministerial keynote speeches from Bob Neill MP (DCLG) and Lord Taylor of Holbeach (Defra).
- Diverse sessions covering the opportunities and challenges facing our sector, significant policy developments, changes to the planning framework and economic uncertainty.
- Gavin Shuker MP, Shadow Minister for Water and Waste, gave a short speech at the start of the Conference Networking Reception on the 12 June.
If you didn’t attend and would like copies of the presentations then please contact the Events Team directly on 01604 620426 or see if Alpha-Financials can assist .
The conference program was as follows:
Session 1: QuestionTime: Delivering A Green Economy – What Is The Role Of
the Waste Sector?
- Chair – James Murray, Business Green
- David Palmer-Jones, CEO, SITA UK
- Ian Williams, Professor of Applied Environmental Science, University of Southampton
Session 2: Stimulating Materials Recovery And Markets
- Chair – Roy Hathaway, ESA
- Herman van der Meij, Director, Viridor Resource Management
- Marcus Gover, Director of Market Development, WRAP
- Ray Georgeson, CEO, Resource Association
- Nick Brown, Associate Director for Recycling Great Britain, Coca-Cola Enterprises Ltd
- Paul Vanston, Manager, Kent Waste Partnership
- Dr Andy Rees, Head of Waste and Resource Efficiency Branch, Welsh Government
Session 3: Zero Waste – Possibility Or Pipe Dream?
- Chair – David Palmer-Jones, CEO, SITA UK
- Dr Colin Church, Director of Climate, Waste and Atmosphere, Defra
- Ed Mitchell, Director of Environment and Business, Environment Agency
- Mark Dredge, Legal Compliance Manager, Ford Europe
- Martin Charter, Director, The Centre for Sustainable Design
- Stuart Greig, Zero Waste Delivery – Head of Waste Management, Scottish Government
Session 4: Changing Relationships 1 – Household Waste
- Chair – Cllr Clare Whelan, Thurlow Park Ward, Lambeth and Conservative spokesperson on environment, health and adult social care
- David Greenfield, Director, iESE
- Joy Blizzard, Chair, LARAC
- Debbie Johns, Principal Advisor, APSE
- Andrew Cook, Waste and Recycling Officer, Westminister City Council
- James O